Information you provide:
The information you provide to us might include: your name, postal address, email address, phone number, gender and date of birth. If you’re creating an account you will provide a password and if you are ordering books you will provide your payment details. If you are submitting a manuscript or job application you will provide additional information about your academic and work history, references and any other information you choose to supply. Your information includes anything which identifies you so if you contribute to a blog or provide other user generated content to us it may include personal information.
If you provide us with more sensitive information this is known as Special Category (“Sensitive”) information and may include details about a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious, philosophical or similar beliefs, trade union membership, genetics, biometrics, health, sexual life, sexual orientation or about criminal offences or proceedings. This type of information will be treated differently and we will explain why we are collecting it and it will only be used with your explicit consent.
We collect your information when you:
- Interact or correspond with us in letters, by phone, SMS, email or via our website;
- attend events we hold or interact with us in person;
- create an account on our website;
- subscribe to our mailing lists;
- complete one of our surveys;
- use our mobile device or website applications (apps);
- submit manuscripts to us by post, email or via our website;
- enter into a contract with us;
- submit an application to a job vacancy;
- order books or other products from our website;
- enter a competition or prize draw;
- provide us with biographical information about you e.g. by completing an author questionnaire
Information about how you use our website and apps:
Our website may include links to third party websites, plug-ins and applications. By clicking on those links or enabling these connections you may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these websites and are not responsible for their privacy notices. Please ensure that you read the privacy notices on any such external websites.
Information we receive from third parties:
In certain circumstances, we will receive information about you from third parties. For example,
- if you choose to register for a website user account you may choose to link this account to your social media account (such as Twitter or Facebook). By providing your social media account details you are authorising that third-party provider to share with us certain information about you;
- we use third party providers to verify information provided by you in connection with any manuscript you submit to us for publication. For example, we will use third-party databases or websites to confirm your publication history;
- we will receive information about you from third parties if they are referring you to us for publication. For example, if you are the co-author of a manuscript, your co-author will be required to provide us with information about you. Or if you have a literary agent making submissions on your behalf, your agent will provide us with information about you;
- if you are a job applicant we may contact your referees to provide information about you;
- if you give permission for us to contact you to a bookseller or other third party running a competition or other event involving one of our books or authors;
- publishers for whom we provide distribution services;
- when we acquire rights from other publishers.